CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Inquiry

Wow!  I can't believe that June is flying by!  I am teaching summer school so my mornings are still filled with teaching.  I love it!  The kids are so cute and want to learn to read and do math better. 

I have been really racking my brain to think about next year.  Our school is now a charter and all of us will be teaching using the inquiry based approach.  This is basically giving the kids a topic and then they come up with questions they have about it.  Of course we guide them to think of questions that will answer the common core first and but then we dig deeper, teaching them to ask better questions to find out more than just the facts.  We do research from many sources but mainly using technology and then do a project showing what we have learned.  It is so exciting to see the kids love learning!  I think they feel more ownership of what they are learning so it has more meaning.  We began this 2 years ago and our test scores have improved so it seems to be a successful approach so far! 

I am going to post some of the worksheets I have come up with to help record the questions we come up with along with the information that is gathered.  I want it to be easy for the kids to understand so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to send them!  We are always looking for ways to improve!


https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-PPrHmWft7fV01URm5LWVluUjA


https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-PPrHmWft7fVTFvbWVuVktMbkE

No comments:

Post a Comment